We are releasing a firmware and Designer update for Smash Box for quality of life improvements and additional functionality. For those who play a lot of GameCube games besides Smash, you will probably like what we have added for this update.
If you are new to the Smash Box or its Designer, you can remap your buttons and customize tons of options to personalize and optimize your gameplay! Find more info here: Designer Info.
Updates in 5.0
- The Smash Box Designer now comes as a single package in an installer. It will guide you through most of the prerequisites necessary to get you changing your buttons and angles.
- Improved Designer Functionality
- Autodect: The Designer will now try to detect your Smash Box automatically, which should improve workflow for most users.
- New flashing routine: new versions of avrdude and libusb to work better with Windows 10. This will help compatibility with more PCs.
- Fixed permissions: the Designer and Firmware will now attempt to launch with the highest administrative permissions. This will help compatibility with more PCs.
- Improved "Options" tab in Designer
- Removed "Help and Contact" tab and put info in bottom of "Options" tab. Also changed and included more links in the Help section.
- Added a button to launch the firmware updater.
- Moved Gen2 Smash Box options into their own section.
- Changed language within Designer to be more consistent with our own and the communities' terminology.
- Fixed bug that hindered mapping the "Z" button on the nunchuk.
- New Button Binds
- LS -> C-Stick: Modifier that converts Analog movement buttons into C-Stick buttons.
- LS -> Dpad: Modifier that converts Analog movement buttons into Dpad buttons.
- (Gen2 Users) USB-Extra 6: An additional bind to use on PC for improved compatibility with more games.
- New Functionality
- Light L/R + Shield Mod = Hard L/R
- Shield Mod was initially designed to change a regular L/R press into a Light L/R, but now can change a Light L/R to a full, digital press.
- C-Stick Vertical SOCD
- C-Stick UP now overrides C-Stick DOWN when activated at the same time.
- (Gen2 Users) USB Gamepad Optimized
- Values sent to PC should now match internal values in Smash Box. Great for emulators (Slippi, Dolphin, etc.)
- Setup for Steam greatly improved.
- New Profiles and Layouts
- Added more to the "Alternative" and "Player Submitted" Profiles and Layouts that come with the Designer.
- Includes layouts for fighting games like Under-Night, Melty Blood, and Guilty Gear; car games like F-Zero, Mario Kart, and Rocket League; and other games like RTB Shogi and Mario Odyssey .
If for any reason you are having problems with your Smash Box, you can reach us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or post in the #tech-support channel in our Discord.