With the growing interest and prominence of preserving videos games digitally, gamers now have even better access to older games or games that were only ever released in arcades.
In order to have a more consistent experience across different titles and provide Cross|Up users with full functionality, we are introducing new features with the 2.00 Cross|Up Designer and Firmware: Retro Compatibility Settings!
What are the Retro Compatibility Settings?
The Retro Compatibility Settings have many different options with varying features. What you use depends on how you want to play!
4-Way DPad Mode
Designed for arcade games that require only 4 directions and do not have diagonal inputs.
- 4-Way DPad HOLD
- Inputting a cardinal direction into a diagonal will continue to output the cardinal direction you started with.
- Example: Left -> Left + Up = Left
- In order to output a new direction, you must only be inputting the direction you want and no diagonal.
- 4-Way DPad TAP
- Inputting a cardinal direction into a diagonal will output the new cardinal that was introduced with the diagonal.
- Example: Left -> Left + Up = Up
- In order to output a new direction, you can simply tap into a diagonal.
Bias for Analog Sticks
This setting allows you to shift the Left Stick output to either the left or right in cases a game does not have a true center for analog inputs.
- Left Bias: Moves the Left Stick output to the left.
- Choose this option if you are getting 'stronger' inputs to the right than on the left.
- Right Bias: Moves the Left Stick output to the right.
- Choose this option if you are getting 'stronger' inputs to the left than on the right.
Inverts the default output for the analog values of L2 & R2.
Turn this setting on if you are using third-party boards to connect to the main Cross|Up board, and either your L2 & R2 buttons are always 'on' or your LED settings are always on for L2 & R2.
Legacy Digital-Only Mode
This mode converts all of the directional input settings on the Cross|Up that can be applied to modern fighting games, and allows you to use them in older fighting games.
For more details, check out: Digital-Only Mode on Cross|Up.
Applying the Retro Compatibility Settings
Open the Designer and select the Profile Settings menu on the right side, titled as "SOCD."