Smash Box has many modifiers in its toolkit, and probably the most unique modifier is MODE. You can think of MODE as utility modifier that can do many things.
- Provides alternate values for every Tilt Modifier.
- Acts as a Light Shield Toggle when activated with L and/or R.
- General purpose modifier for both Analog and C-Stick.
And since we're now including MODE in our default layouts, we thought this was a great time to provide an overview of its uses.
Since MODE doubles the amount of values our modifiers have, one of the main uses we have for MODE in our Default layouts is to give us more recovery options for characters that use specific angles for their recovery in Melee and Ultimate (Fox, Zelda, Pikachu, etc).
Light Shield Toggle
A new addition to MODE is giving it access to a light press of L or R - giving you a Light Shield in Melee, for example. (This works in the same was as Lightshield Toggle/Shield Mod does.)
General Use Modifier
Since it also Modifies Analog and C-Stick values, you can make it act as a Tilt Modifier for either Analog or C-Stick. For example:
- On the Homerow profile for Melee, Ultimate, and Rivals, MODE acts just like how Tilt 1 does.
- On the Ultimate profiles, it'll switch C-Stick ordinal inputs from Turn-Around Up/Down Tilts to Angled F-Tilts.
For more information on modifiers: Modifiers on Smash Box.